Dr. Solomon is a licensed psychologist providing online therapy through her virtual office. She specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for all forms of anxiety, OCD, Body Focused Repetitive Behaviors (BFRBs), and Tic Disorders.
What is E-Therapy? E-therapy, also known as online therapy, e-counseling, telehealth, or telemedicine, is a relatively new development in mental health in which a therapist or counselor provides psychological advice and support over the internet. This can occur through email, video conferencing, online chat, messaging, or internet phone. Online therapy can occur in real-time, such as in phone conversations and online chat rooms, or in a time-delayed format, such as through email messages.
My practice focuses on sessions in real-time through secure videoconferencing through you own patient portal. You may also use the portal for scheduling your own sessions through my virtual calendar, writing and sharing journal entries or updates between sessions, secure email, billing and payment, and downloading helpful handouts.
There are so many reasons why e-therapy from a virtual office may be a great fit for you... YOU HAVE TROUBLE FINDING AN EXPERT IN YOUR AREA YOU HAVE A BUSY SCHEDULE YOU PREFER EVENING OR WEEKEND SESSIONS YOU ARE NERVOUS ABOUT TREATMENT AND PREFER A COMFORTABLE LOCATION YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS THAT PREVENT YOU FROM TRAVELING YOU HAVE A LONG COMMUTE OR LOTS OF TRAFFIC YOU NEED FLEXIBLE AND PORTABLE TREATMENT IN DIFFERENT LOCATIONS YOU WOULD LIKE TO INVOLVE FAMILY MEMBERS IN TREATMENT YOU HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR PRIVACY IN AN OFFICE SETTING
DR. SOLOMON'S VIRTUAL SERVICES ARE:
Evidence-based Proven, research-based treatments that experts consider the "gold standard." Research has revealed that online therapy services can be just as effective as face-to-face office sessions! (Citations/References available upon request). Online therapy, also known as telehealth, or e-therapy is becoming more and more popular. I really enjoy providing these services due to the ability to reach people outside of regular office hours and outside of my immediate geographical area.
Flexible & Convenient You can use my interactive calendar to enjoy the flexibility of booking sessions that work with your busy schedule. You can view my availability and schedule, manage, pay for your appointments, and download receipts. You can choose the type, length, and method of contact for your own sessions based on our individualized treatment plan.
Accessible & time saving There is no need to travel to your therapist's office. You can get help from wherever you are in the world. All you need is a computer, tablet or mobile phone and a high-speed internet connection (if you are able to stream videos, your connection is fast enough for e-therapy).
Fully supported It is much more than just text. We can meet face-to-face using video conferencing, or meet via a phone call, e-mail, journal, or have an online chat. Services include the online therapy program with easy-to-follow information and tools, daily journaling and therapy tasks, tests and measures to see your progress, and access to many handouts and resources. You will be write in in your own secure client journal and choose to share your between appointment thoughts with me or utilize the privacy feature. Parents and children can share updates prior to their next appointment to save time for more specific areas to focus on during the online session.
Customizable E-therapy services in the Virtual Office include face-to-face video sessions, e-mail support, journaling, and online chat. Phone sessions are also available. We can customize the frequency and intensity of your treatment. In addition to traditional therapy, I offer an Intensive Treatment Program, Fast-track Program, and a lower-cost Self-Directed Program. This program is designed to minimize expenses and maximize progress through use of an individualized daily self-directed program assisted by brief consult sessions with Dr. Solomon on an as-needed basis. During your initial intake evaluation sessions, we will collaborate on a treatment plan and use this "teamwork" approach to help you reach your goals. On the Secure Client Portal, you will have access to helpful resources, handouts, and notes.
Private & anonymous There is no risk of exposing yourself face-to-face in the waiting room or in a therapist's office, which some people feel is very unpleasant.
Secure & confidential I provide HIPAA-compliant online therapy using a SECURE PATIENT PORTAL. All of your information is saved anonymously on our secure server, where only you and I can access it.
You must meet all of the following criteria in order for us to work together:
1. You are located Arizona, New York, or a Florida If not, you are not eligible for remote treatment. Due to the way that the process of psychology is regulated, I can only offer remote treatment in states where I am licensed to practice. This is true even for video-conference-based services, such as online OCD therapy. If you are located in Arizona, New York, or Florida, you may be eligible for online OCD therapy or another other type of remote treatment. Keep reading to see if you meet the remaining criteria…
2. Your symptoms be addressed appropriately via remote treatment Not all symptoms can be addressed appropriately via online therapy. For example, if you are in a crisis, if you are abusing drugs or alcohol, if you are thinking of harming yourself or others, online therapy is not the best fit for you. Online therapy allows me to easily do some types of treatment but not others, which may limit my ability to help you. Thus, if your treatment is likely to require a significant portion in-person, face-to-face interaction that cannot be replicated via online/telephone-based options, you are not eligible for remote treatment. If your symptoms would be expected to respond to remote treatment, you may be eligible for online OCD therapy or another other type of remote treatment. Keep reading to see if you meet the final criterion…
3. You are not involved in any legal, custody, or court-ordered proceedings I do not provide treatment to anyone actively involved in divorce or custody proceedings. I do not provide court-ordered treatment or evaluation.
4. I feel that I can provide you with the best treatment possible for your concerns and that it is in your best interest to receive services remotely Every situation is different, and sometimes I feel that it is in a patient’s best interest to work with a local provider (even if that provider is not a specialist). As such, eligibility for for online OCD therapy or another other type of remote service is ultimately at my discretion.
5. You have access to a computer with a webcam, ipad or tablet, or a smartphone and you have internet access fast enough to stream Netflix or Hulu. One of the wonderful things about online therapy is that you are able to participate in your therapy session wherever you feel comfortable and free of distractions or interruptions. As long as you have an internet connection, and a computer, smartphone, or tablet, you're all set! I always encourage people to think about their own privacy and confidentiality when choosing when and where to hold sessions, so keep that in mind when you're making that decision.
E-Therapy vs. Traditional Therapy
Here are some advantages of online therapy over traditional office visits
Availability Not everyone has access to a local anxiety specialist. For those who qualify, online therapy options can help remedy this problem. Although the availability of well-trained anxiety specialists has improved remarkably in recent years, many individuals still find that their local treatment options are severely lacking. This seems to be particularly true for individuals with OCD, severe anxiety, tic disorders, and body-focused repetitive behaviors, such as hair-pulling or skin-picking. To help improve the availability of specialty services, I now offer e-therapy for eligible patients through my virtual office.
Flexibility of Services The services I offer include telephone-based and online (video-conference-based) consultation, assessment, and treatment for *eligible candidates. There is also a secure instant message chat that can be used, however, this cannot be the sole method of treatment. It is used to enhance brief therapy sessions or check-ins and can be particularly effective for older children and teens.
Saves You Time and Money Online therapy services are super convenient, since you can access a variety of providers, services, and resources quickly and easily. You save time commuting to an office, especially if you live or work far away from the provider you would like to work with. You also save commuting costs, such as gas, train fare, or subway fees. Better Selection of Providers Are you frustrated with the lack of providers in your area? Are you uncomfortable going to an office setting where you may see a friend, neighbor, or your child's classmate? Have you had trouble finding a provider within a reasonable distance from you? Online therapy services allow you to reach providers who may have offices hundreds of miles away from you or who have offices close by. Many providers will work with clients online now due to financial, insurance, scheduling, commuting, rapport, and specialization reasons. This allows you to choose from a greater pool of providers and to select someone who you feel is the best fit for you. Don't let geography get in the way! Kids Can Do it Too Don't underestimate the ability of children to participate in and benefit from online therapy services. In fact, many children and adolescents actually are more savvy with this service than their parents are. Of course, the success of treatment varies from child to child and family to family, but it may be worth trying. I have been able to work with children and adolescents online conveniently and easily. Things to Consider When you meet for your session, be present (e.g., you should not be doing dishes, watching TV, checking your cell phone,or surfing the Internet for information unrelated to treatment or the session). Treat the session the same as meeting in person in an office setting. Make sure the provider is present too.Make sure the provider is licensed to work with you in your state. Laws vary state to state.Ask about the security of the program you will use for sessions. These may include video conferencing, phone, e-mail, text, and online chat.Ask about the benefits and risks associated with online therapy services.
Schedule a FREE 10-Minute Phone Consultation
Let's see if I am a good match for you!
DR. ALLISON SOLOMON, PSY.D., PC Licensed Clinical Psychologist Phone: 631.403.0863 Fax: 480.269.9104 EMAIL: Info@drallisonsolomon.org